Monday, January 3, 2011

Crank It Up

Team One Less,

We still have a long way to go, but it is time to get some serious training going.  Our long runs will truly become long in the near weeks.  I hope everyone had a good break over the holidays and got some good training in.  By now you should be running 4 to 5 days a week.  Your goal for your long run this week should be 8 to 10 miles.  This may sound like a lot, but you can do it.  The important thing about these long runs is to take it easy and listen to your body.  I would recommend starting these long runs slower than you are used to.  It is more than OK to have a pace that is a good bit slower than your shorter runs.

Also, I have had several questions about fueling for runs and re-fueling after runs.  It will be different for everyone, but here are some suggestions.

Before runs, I like to eat well before running (about 2 hours before).  This is just my preference, you should gauge what feels best for you.  On our longer runs I may have to eat a little closer to our run.  If you need to eat right before running, eat something simple like fruit or something light.

After runs, try to replenish within a 1/2 hour to hour.  I take a recovery shake (2:1:1 by Optimum Nutrition).  It tastes great and does the job, it has changed how I recover.  It is about $37.00 for a 3.7lbs jug of powder (www.vitacost.com).  If you cant find it that cheap let me know I can tell you where you can get it; or if you find it cheaper let me know.  Also, just because we are training for a marathon does not necessarily mean you need to change your whole diet, just be balanced.  Jeannie, feel free to add anything or correct me.  You are our resident dietitian.

Feel free to call or text me if you have questions. Fund raising information to come.

Keep up the hard work,

Aaron

No comments: